Last year the hardcore Arma II mod DayZ took PC gamers by storm so much so that Bohemia Interactive, the company behind Arma II, began working directly with the mod’s creator in order to create a standalone version for PC later this year. DayZ standalone is based on the Arma III engine that’s currently in alpha right now. Eurogamer spoke to creator Dean Hall about the possibility of releasing on consoles.
Hall immediately decried Microsoft and its draconian policies, mentioning how they require indie developers to obtain a publisher and have a $10,000 per update policy. When asked if the game would make it to Sony’s new console, Hall was much more enthusiastic:
“Oh, absolutely. We like them. I like what I saw on the PS4.”
Of course, Hall was asked about a Wii U version of the game, given how ZombiU was received but it’s apparent that the creator hasn’t considered the console much, if at all.
“I don’t know. I haven’t really looked into it much. I doubt it.”
Perhaps Hall could be persuaded if enough people expressed interest, though I’m not sure how the online persistent servers that make the game function correctly would be done on the Wii U.