Seeing as this game never made it to some of us DC gamers outside of Japan, we are a bit familiar with this sub moniker over the North American "Mark Of The Millenium 2001", thanks in part to importing the game on our wonderful DC consoles.
Of course I'm referring to Capcom Vs SNK 2.

With the game being digitally released just this past Tuesday over PSN as a PS2 classic here in the US, there has been some current exposure to the game once again and it just got me thinking about...

From now til the games release some 12 years back, has Capcom truly topped it? After CVS2, they've released CFJ (just awful!), the questionable SFxT and various iterations of SF4 and MVC3. While the latter 2 are decent games, they seem to lack that Capcom charm that I was accustomed in their older games.
Would it take an actual sequel to Capcom Vs. SNK to surpass the goodness of this ol' game?

On different topic altogether. I remember reading back in the day about the Dreamcast and PS2 versions of the game being cross compatible for online play? Does anyone know anything regading this?